Ten FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Kentucky Truck Driving Championship
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – May 21, 2013 – Ten drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 Kentucky State Truck Driving Championship in Louisville on May 17-18.
- Wayne Crowder, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Louisville, captured his fifth state title with a win in the Flatbed class.
- FedEx Express driver Doug Adams (Hebron) finished first in the 5-Axle class for his fourth Kentucky title.
- FedEx Freight driver Rickie Livingston, based in Louisville, captured first place in the Straight Truck class.
- Augustus Kern, a FedEx Express driver based in Cincinnati, Ohio, earned first place in the Step Van class.
- Hebron-based FedEx Express drivers Mark Campbell and Dwayne Heaverin captured the second-place trophies in the Straight Truck and 3-Axle classes, respectively.
- Brad Mertz, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Louisville, placed second in the Tank Truck class.
- FedEx Express drivers Janet Hoard (Louisville) and Bill Court (Hebron) finished the sweep in the Step Van class with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
- Louisville-based FedEx Freight driver John Higgs finished third in the 4-Axle class.
The entire FedEx team of competitors earned the third-place team trophy.
Crowder, Adams, Livingston and Kern will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the Kentucky state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The Kentucky State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state’s competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.