Six FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Pennsylvania Truck Driving Championship
HARRISBURG, Pa. – June 11, 2013 – Six drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 Pennsylvania State Truck Driving Championship in Harrisburg on June 7-8.
- Sal Vincelli, owner of Kelynn, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Allentown, captured his third state title in the Step Van class.
- FedEx Freight driver Sarkis Tulaney (Pocono Summit) finished second in the 5-Axle class.
- Mike Foley and Chuck DiGiovanni, both drivers for PA Ground2, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Philadelphia, finished second and third in the Step Van class, respectively.
- York-based FedEx Freight driver Lance Matthews finished third in the Straight Truck class.
- Bruce Adams, a driver for Ronald Leiphart Trucking, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground hub in Harrisburg, finished third in the 5-Axle Sleeper class.
Vincelli will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the Pennsylvania state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The Pennsylvania State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state’s competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.