Five FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Vermont Truck Driving Championship
PEMBROKE, N.H. – June 9, 2014 – Five drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2014 Vermont State Truck Driving Championship in Pembroke, N.H., on June 7.
- Chris Goddard, a driver for FedEx Express based in Williston, captured his sixth state title with a win in the 3-Axle class. He also took home his second-consecutive Grand Champion title for achieving the highest score among the winners of all classes.
- David Fountain, also a driver for FedEx Express also based in Williston, earned his seventh state title – this year in the Flatbed class.
- Fellow FedEx Express driver Christopher Novak (Williston) finished second in the 4-Axle class. He also posted the highest score in the Pre-Trip Inspection portion of the competition.
- Jason Caron, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Bellows Falls, placed third in the 4-Axle class. He also won the Rookie of the Year award.
- Fellow FedEx Freight driver Troy Kilburn (Bellows Falls) was third in the Twins class.
Additionally, the competitors representing FedEx Express were awarded the Team Trophy.
Goddard and Fountain will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2014 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” Aug. 12-16 in Pittsburgh. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our team is dedicated to staying safe on the road,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The accomplishment of these participants at the Vermont state championship demonstrates the professionalism and dedication to safety found throughout the entire FedEx organization.”
The Vermont State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2013, 132 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx SupplyChain qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state’s competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. Three FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Nine other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $45 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world’s most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain “absolutely, positively” focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.