Eight FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Missouri Truck Driving Championship
CHESTERFIELD, Mo. – June 9, 2014 – Eight drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2014 Missouri State Truck Driving Championship in Chesterfield on June 6-7.
- Anthony Fengel, a driver for FedEx Freight based in E. Kansas City, captured his first state title with a win in the Twins class.
- Nick Frazier, of Michael’s Messengers Inc. domiciled out of the FedEx Ground station in Joplin, won the Step Van class for his first state title.
- FedEx Express driver Jim Houghton (Kansas City) finished second in the Straight Truck class.
- Springfield-based FedEx Freight drivers Phil Wampler and Jason Budd finished the sweep in the Twins class with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
- Completing the sweep of the Step Van class were Steven Campbell, of Michael’s Messengers Inc. domiciled out of the FedEx Ground station in Joplin, and Jard Weidmann, of D.R. Sherry, Inc. domiciled out of the FedEx Ground station in Kansas City, with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
- FedEx Freight driver Terry Burke (Saint Charles) placed third in the 3-Axle class.
Fengel and Frazier will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2014 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” Aug. 12-16 in Pittsburgh. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our team is dedicated to staying safe on the road,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The accomplishment of these participants at the Missouri state championship demonstrates the professionalism and dedication to safety found throughout the entire FedEx organization.”
The Missouri State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2013, 132 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx SupplyChain qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state’s competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. Three FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Nine other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $45 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world’s most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain “absolutely, positively” focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.