Ten FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Connecticut Truck Driving Championship
WINDSOR LOCKS, Conn. – June 18, 2014 – Ten drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2014 Connecticut State Truck Driving Championship in Windsor Locks on June 14.
- Paul Brandon, a driver for FedEx Freight based in New Haven, captured his sixth Connecticut state title with his second-consecutive win in the Flatbed class. He also tied for the highest score on the written exam and won the pre-trip inspection portion of the competition. Brandon finished third in the Flatbed class at the 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC).
- Tom Griffin, also a New Haven-based driver for FedEx Freight, attained his sixth state title with his second-straight win in the 4-Axle class. Griffin, who tied with Brandon for the highest written exam honor, was the second-place finisher in the 4-Axle class at the 2013 NTDC.
- FedEx Express driver John Sanchez (Windsor Locks) took home his second Connecticut Step Van title.
- Karen Roderick, of Armadillo Transportation Services, Incorporated domiciled out of the FedEx Ground hub in Hartford, and Drew Martin, a driver for FedEx Express based in Stratford, finished second in the 5-Axle Sleeper and Straight Truck classes, respectively.
- FedEx Express drivers Rudy Bernardo (Windsor Locks) and Robert Harrelle (New London) completed the sweep of the Step Van class with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
- FedEx Freight drivers David Bryant (Hartford), Tony Harris (New Haven) and Kenneth Lawton (New Haven) finished third in the 5-Axle, Twins and Tank Truck classes, respectively.
Brandon, Griffin and Sanchez will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2014 NTDC, known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” Aug. 12-16 in Pittsburgh. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our team is dedicated to staying safe on the road,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The accomplishment of these participants at the Connecticut state championship demonstrates the professionalism and dedication to safety found throughout the entire FedEx organization.”
The Connecticut State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2013, 132 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx SupplyChain qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. Three FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Nine other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $46 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.