Ten FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Arkansas Truck Driving Championship
ROGERS, Ark. – June 4, 2013 – Ten drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 Arkansas State Truck Driving Championship in Rogers on May 30-June 1.
- Larry Rhein, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Harrison, captured the first-place trophy in the Flatbed class.
- Timothy Geary, owner of Sav Express, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Fayetteville, finished first in the Step Van class.
- FedEx Freight driver James Sanders (West Memphis) captured the top spot in the 3-Axle class.
- Robin Sams, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Texarkana, finished second in the 3-Axle class.
- FedEx Freight drivers Jeff Cochran (Texarkana) and Joe Wash (Little Rock) finished second and third, respectively, in the Twins class. Cochran also posted the best score in the Pre-Trip Inspection portion of the competition.
- Brian Figgins, a driver for Geoco, Ltd. based at the FedEx Ground station in Fayetteville, and Eric Brockette, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Little Rock, completed the sweep of the Step Van class with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
- William Brown, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Texarkana, and Allen Parker, a driver for HHG Parcel Transport, Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Fort Smith, finished second and third, respectively, in the Straight Truck class.
Rhein, Geary and Sanders will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the Arkansas state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The Arkansas State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.