Seven FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Vermont Truck Driving Championship
PEMBROKE, N.H. – June 4, 2013 – Seven drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2013 Vermont State Truck Driving Championship in Pembroke, N.H., on June 1.
- Chris Goddard, a driver for FedEx Express based in Burlington, captured his fifth state title with a win in the 4-Axle class. He also took home the Grand Champion title for achieving the highest score among the winners of all classes.
- Fellow FedEx Express driver Christopher Novak (Burlington) captured his sixth state title with a win in the 5-Axle class.
- David Fountain also earned his sixth state title by capturing first place in the Flatbed class. He also posted the highest score in the written exam portion of the competition.
- Cass Bresette earned first-place in the Straight Truck class for his fourth consecutive state title. He is a driver for FedEx Custom Critical contractor Roger & Rite Wright. He is based in Barre.
- FedEx Freight driver Jeremiah Jarvis (Montpelier) took home his first state title in the Twins class.
- Fellow FedEx Freight driver Bob Weller (Bellows Falls) finished second in the 3-Axle class.
- Also a Barre-based driver for FedEx Custom Critical contractor Roger & Rite Wright, Shelly Bresette, finished second in the Straight Truck class.
Additionally, FedEx Express was awarded the Team Trophy.
Goddard, Novak, Fountain, Cass Bresette and Jarvis will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” August 20-24 in Salt Lake City. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our company is represented by professional drivers who not only strive daily to ensure shipments are delivered on time, but also that they remain safe on the road. It’s a fundamental priority in our company,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The performance of these participants at the Vermont state championship demonstrates the dedication to safety of our entire team.”
The Vermont State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2012, 137 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx Custom Critical qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. One FedEx competitor captured the National Grand Champion title. In addition, FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Eight other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.