Nine FedEx Drivers Earn Honors at the Delaware Truck Driving Championship
HARRINGTON, Del. – May 22, 2014 – Nine drivers representing FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) operating companies placed among the top finishers at the 2014 Delaware State Truck Driving Championship in Harrington on May 17.
- Chris Jenkins, of Travis Boardman Inc. domiciled at the FedEx Ground station in Seaford, Del., captured the top spot in the Step Van Class for the second straight year. He also earned the Grand Champion title for achieving the highest score among the winners of all classes.
- Mike Pertain, of Beck Services, Inc. domiciled at the FedEx Home Delivery station in New Castle, posted first in the Straight Truck class for the second year in a row. He also turned in the highest score in the Pre-Trip Inspection portion of the competition.
- Wilmington-based FedEx Freight driver Jose Perez attained first place in the Twins class.
- FedEx Freight driver Billy Tuell took home the second-place trophy in the 4-Axle class.
- Completing the sweep in the Twins class were Wilmington-based FedEx Freight drivers Timothy Lowe and Keith Moreno with their second- and third-place finishes, respectively.
- John Argo and Richard Carr, both of Travis Boardman Inc. domiciled at the FedEx Ground station in Seaford, Del., placed second and third, respectively, in the Step Van class.
- Joseph Peterson, a driver for FedEx Express based in Philadelphia, Pa., finished third in the 5-Axle class.
Jenkins, Pertain and Perez will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2014 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC), known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” Aug. 12-16 in Pittsburgh. In addition, each state winner will be recognized by FedEx as part of its safe driving initiative, The Chairman’s Challenge.
“Our team is dedicated to staying safe on the road,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The accomplishment of these participants at the Delaware state championship demonstrates the professionalism and dedication to safety found throughout the entire FedEx organization.”
The Delaware State Truck Driving Championship is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
In 2013, 132 driving professionals from 46 states representing FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx SupplyChain qualified to compete at the National Truck Driving Championships by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. Three FedEx drivers captured National Champion titles in the Flatbed, 3-Axle and Step Van classes. Nine other FedEx drivers earned top-three finishes in their respective vehicle classes.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $45 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.