FAQ – FedEx During the 2008 Holiday Season
How much do your volumes increase over the holidays?
The holidays are traditionally our busiest time of the year. Due to current economic conditions, FedEx has not issued a volume forecast for the 2008 holiday season.
FedEx handled 11.1 million packages on its busiest day last year. On an average day, FedEx handles more than 7.5 million shipments throughout the network.
Is FedEx adding additional staff to prepare for the holiday season?
FedEx team members world-wide are set to deliver the holidays this peak season for our customers.
-Traditionally, part-time and full-time FedEx Express employees are given the opportunity to work additional hours as needed during the holiday season.
-FedEx Ground facilities will be ready to add temporary workers during November and December as needed.
-FedEx Office manages its staffing throughout the year and will adjust its current staff through scheduling to meet customer demand. -FedEx Freight utilizes a flexible workforce to meet changing business levels throughout the year.
How does FedEx Operations prepare for the holidays?
More than 290,000 FedEx team members are busy gearing up for the holiday season. This year, between Thanksgiving and Christmas:
– 672 FedEx aircraft will move shipments among 220 countries and territories.
– More than 80,000 FedEx vehicles will travel throughout the world.
– More than 1,900 FedEx Office locations around the world will provide convenient access to time-definite FedEx Express and day-definite FedEx Ground shipping services, along with complete pack-and-ship services.
– Employees at FedEx hubs worldwide will help ensure that packages reach their destinations on time.
– Traditionally, part-time and full-time FedEx Express employees are given the opportunity to work additional hours as needed during the holiday season – FedEx Ground facilities will be ready to add temporary workers during November and December as needed.
How is FedEx affected by winter weather?
All FedEx operating companies are known for their exceptional planning and the extraordinary lengths to which they will go to serve their customers. For example:
– At FedEx Express, the Global Operations Control Center manages the FedEx Express air and ground fleets worldwide and can make routing and operational changes within minutes. The company also employs a staff of 15 meteorologists who can accurately predict weather changes.
– At FedEx Ground, Web-based software is used to monitor weather conditions and road closings. With this information at hand, the FedEx Ground team can make quick decisions about changing the routes of trucks and trailers when and where necessary.
Is FedEx Express increasing its flight schedule to prepare for the holiday season this year?
FedEx Express routinely adjusts its flight schedules to accommodate fluctuations in package volumes. We take advantage of the flexibility of our express network in re-routing flights, using flights during the day and other measures to accommodate increased volumes during the holidays. In fact, all FedEx companies are known for their exceptional planning and the extraordinary lengths to which they will go to serve their customers.
Does FedEx offer tips on how customers can save money this holiday season?
In today’s challenging economic environment, FedEx offers many ways for customers to save money this holiday season.
– Sign up for an account at fedex.com to save 16 percent off list prices on eligible FedEx Express® shipments and 8 percent on FedEx Ground® and FedEx Home Delivery® services when using FedEx Ship Manager® at fedex.com.
– Ship before Dec. 16, 2008 and use FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery Services for the most cost effective delivery. FedEx Home Delivery service connects virtually every residential address in the U.S. via our residential-only delivery network while offering Date Certain, Evening and Appointment delivery services to make shipping more convenient.
– Send your package via FedEx Ground from a FedEx Office location. FedEx Ground shipping rates at FedEx Office locations are up to 15 percent less than those at the UPS Store.*
– If you’ve missed early shipping deadlines, research the many options available via FedEx Express including the economical FedEx Express Saver and FedEx 2Day services.
– Package your shipment properly to minimize the weight and the cost of shipping.
– Drop off your FedEx Express shipments off at one of more than 51,000 FedEx drop off locations to avoid added surcharges. FedEx Ground packages can be dropped at more than 1,800 FedEx Office locations nationwide.
– Visit fedex.com to view possible savings with companies such as American Express, Google Checkout, GotVMail, Amazon Services, Pitney Bowes, QuickBooks, USAA and stamps.com.
– For quick and easy gift ideas, customers can customize holiday cards and calendars at FedEx Office locations with artwork from award-winning artists.
– Customers save time with FedEx’s industry-leading online services for their global and domestic shipments by using FedEx Web-based resources for visibility, planning and efficiency.
– FedEx Ship Manager
– FedEx InSight
– FedEx Global Trade Manager
– FedEx Returns Portfolio
– FedEx Freight Advance Notice
*Average based on a comparison of FedEx Ground rates at FedEx retail locations compared to The UPS Store ground retail rates for walk-in non-account holders.
What is the last date customers can ship packages for delivery before Christmas?
FedEx Express will accept packages up until Tuesday, December 23 for delivery before Christmas.
Customers shipping packages in the continental U.S. will have until Wednesday, December 17 to ship via FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery for guaranteed delivery before Christmas.
Customers should go to http://www.fedex.com/us/holiday/ for assistance with their holiday shipping needs.
What shipping tips does FedEx offer for customers?
Proper packaging can make all the difference in getting your important gifts and holiday items to their destination. FedEx customers should keep the following tips in mind when shipping this holiday:
– The earlier you ship, the shorter the lines.
Choose the Right Supplies
– Use sturdy boxes with flaps intact. For heavier items, use double-wall boxes. Don’t exceed the weight specifications for your box.
– Do not reuse boxes if at all possible. If reusing a box, make sure there are no holes, tears or corner dents, and remove any old labels. Consider placing the box within another box for additional protection.
– Make sure your box is large enough to put adequate padding around contents. Position your item in the center of the box and surround by cushioning such as bubble wrap, foam "peanuts,” densely packed shredded paper or foam pads. Use enough packing material – ideally one inch on all sides – so the item does not shift during transit.
– Use tape designed for packing, not duct or masking tape. Do not wrap the outer box with paper or string, which can get caught in automated processing equipment.
– FedEx Office offers a variety of the most popular packing supplies, including free FedEx shipping supplies for FedEx Express shipments. We also offer boxes, tape, bubble wrap and other essentials for purchase.
– Position the address label squarely on the largest surface, and provide complete sender and recipient addresses, including phone numbers and ZIP codes.
– Put the recipient’s address and your return address inside the box as well.
Call in the Experts
– When in doubt, ask for help. FedEx Office has expert shipping specialists trained in packing and shipping best practices.
– The more than 1,800 FedEx Office and Print Centers across the U.S. offer a full range of FedEx Express, FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery shipping options – with 24/7 service in many locations for the next scheduled pick up.
Avoid the lines
– You can print directly from your PC to our nearest FedEx Office location using FedEx Print Online. This way you’ll save the trip of ordering copies of your holiday flyers, invitations, custom greeting cards or other documents in person during this busy season.
Prepare Shipments Online
– Use FedEx Ship Manager and you can ship without leaving your home or office. To use, customers simply click the “Prepare Shipment Online” option under the “Ship” tab on the fedex.com U.S. home page, register as a user and follow the easy-to-use instructions. No extra software is required.
-Tracking a package with FedEx is easy and convenient. On average, more than 5.5 million package-tracking requests a day are handled on fedex.com.
Customers can go to the FedEx U.S. homepage, click on the tracking option at and supply the tracking numbers for up to 30 FedEx Express and/or FedEx Ground packages. FedEx will then supply real-time information about the package status and location in our delivery network.
How do I arrange for a tour of a FedEx hub or station or schedule a ride along with a FedEx courier?
To schedule an interview, FedEx facility visit or ride along, please visit the FedEx Newsroom at http://news.fedex.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I find out more information about specific products and services FedEx offers?
For questions regarding shipping options and FedEx products and services this holiday season and beyond, please visit http://www.fedex.com/us/holiday/ for more information.