FedEx Expands its Charity Library Program to Cover More School in Rural Areas of China
Improving the reading level of local school children through The FedEx Library Program
Book Corners donated by FedEx to Miaoquan School, Nankeng Town, Luxi County, Pingxiang City, Jiangxi Province
Shanghai, July 18, 2022—FedEx Express, a subsidiary of FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) and one of the world’s largest express transportation companies, has joined hands with the Library Project team of Wuxi Lingshan Charity Foundation to expand the FedEx Library Program to cover more schools in rural areas.
The upgraded annual program will donate reading rooms or book corners to nine rural primary schools in underprivileged areas across China and empower rural teachers with the tools to become better reading instructors. By providing local children with a wealth of high-quality reading resources, the program intends to improve students’ reading levels and helps them explore more possibilities in life. The project will include the following.
- Preliminary investigations: The Library Project team will inspect each school to assess its eligibility and determine what books the school needs.
- Donation activities: The Library Project team will work with FedEx volunteers to deliver interactive activities. FedEx employees will join students and teachers at the donor schools for online or on-site reading sessions. In addition, the Library Project team will provide training to the schools’ librarians.
- Post-visits: One year after implementing the program, the Library Project team will visit the schools where donations were made to evaluate the use of the reading rooms and book corners and assess the school’s overall performance in creating a reading environment for children.
- Second-hand book donations: FedEx will carry out internal second-hand book donation activities according to the relevant needs and requirements of the schools and communities, and the Library Project team will distribute the collected books.
- Shipping support: FedEx will ship the donated books and needed materials to relevant schools or communities free of charge.
At the end of June 2022, the FedEx Library Program donated six book corners to Miaoquan School in Nankeng Town, Luxi County, Jiangxi Province. In addition, FedEx donated more than 1,200 children’s books, bookshelves, drawing kits and globes. FedEx will continue to build libraries for other rural primary schools in the coming year in collaboration with Lingshan Foundation.
FedEx volunteers carry out online activities with Miaoquan School in Luxi, Jiangxi Province
“At FedEx, we have always been committed to giving back to the communities where we serve and live as part of our corporate social responsibility,” said Eddy Chan, senior vice president of FedEx Express and president of FedEx Express China. “The FedEx Library Program helps enhance the reading environment in under-resourced areas and reduce the cultural gap in different regions. Through reading and education, we empower rural children with a brighter future and support China’s rural revitalization efforts.”
“The partnership with FedEx will help us realize our vision of making every child a better version of themselves through high-quality reading,” said He Zhenzhen, head of the Library Project team for Wuxi Lingshan Charity Foundation. “Providing reading resources, book lending management and reading courses to more rural primary schools will help schools and communities develop a reading culture. During our 10 year collaboration with FedEx employees, we have deeply felt the corporate social responsibility culture that FedEx conveys and the employee pride that extends from this culture. Once again, we thank FedEx for joining hands with us in educating rural children about reading in China.”
The FedEx Library Program started in 2012. More than 500 FedEx team members have been actively involved in this charity program, establishing 22 libraries in elementary schools and communities in eight provinces, donating more than 18,000 Chinese books suitable for elementary school students and benefiting more than 3,000 children through cash donations and voluntary services.
FedEx delivers corporate social responsibility by strategically investing people, resources and networks to support and positively impact the communities and people it serves through programs such as The FedEx Library Program. Our ultimate goal is to bring hope, change and new possibilities to 50 million people by 2023, our company’s 50th anniversary.
About FedEx Express
FedEx Express is one of the world’s largest express transportation companies, providing fast and reliable delivery to more than 220 countries and territories. FedEx Express uses a global air-and-ground network to speed delivery of time-sensitive shipments, by a definite time and date.
About The Library Project of Wuxi Lingshan Charity Foundation
The Library Project of Wuxi Lingshan Charity Foundation is dedicated to improving children’s literacy by providing reading resources and training solutions for rural schools and families. To date, the Library Project has donated more than 2 million books to more than 2,700 rural schools and communities, benefiting more than 700,000 children.